Tuesday, January 24, 2012

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

--Have you ever expected something in the mail only to get home and discover it wasn't there?  Or perhaps you expected someone to call you and they didn't?  Or even on a more serious note, maybe you expected your mate to meet needs that he didn't know you had!  Whatever the case may be, unmet expectations breed sadness and disappointment.  Of course you expected him to keep a job, be a perfect lover, raise stellar children, read the bible with you, keep the house IMMACULATE( and by house, I mean keeping his clothes off the floor!!) AND be an awesome man of God and that's just your list for Sunday!!

Single or married, ladies we have all experienced the crushing blow of expecting something and not receiving it.  Somewhere between ideology and reality we get lost.  We are angry at friends who didn't acknowledge our accomplishments; children who turned out to be everything BUT what we groomed them to be. We become angry with husbands or lovers who did not know we needed to be held when work was challenging that day.  Or do I dare say it, we feel that anguish when we prayed fervently for something we just knew GOD was going to answer our prayer request with a "Yes",  only to feel like GOD didn't hear our prayer at all.  Although we know JESUS loves us, we still have human desires.  No matter what the circumstance, I am sure you can recall your own personal scenario; they all equal the bitter taste of disappointment.

Keep Living
I took the liberty to find synonyms for the word "disappointment" and here is what I found:  dismay, dissatisfaction, frustration, and letdown.  Do any of these words describe a feeling you've had at one time or another??  If your answer is no, then honey keep livin'!!

Ladies, I will be 42 years old soon after this posts and I don't know about you but when my birthday comes around for some reason I get nostalgic and  I want to travel "back down memory lane!' I think about the times when I was completely devastated by not getting something I expected. Whether it was from my hard work, diligent efforts, or something promised, it was something I felt I was truly deserving of. Now, interestingly enough can you say BUT GOD, I am so thankful for all the times God closed a door on something I felt I wanted/needed so bad because that very thing could have detoured the path He had planned for me.  I have also learned through trial and error these nuggets of wisdom:
--PEOPLE LET YOU DOWN AND YOU WILL SURVIVE.


--YOU WILL NOT MEET SOME ONE'S EXPECTATION OF YOU AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS APOLOGIZE AND TRY AND DO BETTER THE NEXT TIME.


--EXPECT NOTHING IN A RELATIONSHIP INSTEAD COMMUNICATE WHAT YOUR NEEDS ARE---People cannot read your mind, no matter how well you feel they know you.
Disappointment is a vital (inescapable) part of this journey.  It is one of those things that places us right where we need to be at times,  in the presence of our GOD.  And finally my sistas, EXPECT that the Father "fearfully and wonderfully made you" according to Psalms 139:14 and He knows what you have need of before you ask it!

I have learned not to rest my total confidence in my expectations but rather to take each day as it comes.  
Each day is a gift, that's why its called the present. We know that all things will work together for our good because we love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28(KJV).



So be encouraged my sisters...










AWEThentic BarBie with
another thought from the desk of a real wife........



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the first published blog from one of the real wife team writers. It is her birthday and what a way to celebrate. She is truly an inspiring and on fire woman of God walking into purpose. We often don't realize how much God loves us. He allows for us to have the freedom of choice to do it our way or allow Him to have His way. He is such the gentleman. But when we follow in our ordered steps there is such joy and happiness. We tend to see how He adds the Super to our natural.
    I am soo excited and look forward to many more writings from her.
    Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the encouraging word. I needed it this morning.

    ReplyDelete